Lost Love Quotes are words of wisdom, hope, and inspiration that can help us through the difficult times of heartbreak. These quotes have been shared by people from all walks of life who have experienced the pain and sorrow of lost love. Whether it was due to a break-up or death, these profound words can be comforting in our darkest hours. Through their words, we can find understanding and insight into our own struggles with love and loss. Below you will find a collection of motivating, knowledgeable, and encouraging lost love quotes, lost love sayings, and lost love proverbs.
Sad Love Messages
1. When you love a person, losing them only make you love them even more.
2. I’m almost over you, that’s what I keep telling myself to make me sleep better at night.
3. You still mean everything to me, but you’re just not worth the fight anymore.
4. Loss was never demanded, but always required. So is love.
5. The phantom pain of your sweet embrace continues to haunt me even when I’m asleep.
6. It is better to have loved and lost than not to have loved at all.
7. The pain of losing you, no matter how much it breaks my heart, reminds me that once upon a time, I loved you with everything I had.
8. What should I do without you? I cannot imagine.
9. Love isn’t there to make us happy. I believe it exists to show us how much we can endure. ― Hermann Hesse
10. I don’t think you can ever fill the empty space with the thing you lost.
11. I thought when love for you died, I should die. It’s dead. Alone, most strangely, I live on. Rupert Brooke
12. Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more, Men were deceivers ever, One foot in sea and one on shore, To one thing constant never. ― William Shakespeare
13. Love is the most beautiful and pure thing a person can have. And losing such a pure thing can be a tragedy. But it is the way it is. Everything you have is temporary, nothing is going to be with you forever. The sooner you accept that, the better it is for you.
14. I have loved and I have lost and I’m starting to believe; it’s okay. Sometimes what we “think” is best for us, is only the beginning of what is truly “meant” for us. And if I have loved, so deeply the wrong heart; I am content in knowing the greatest love I will ever experience, hasn’t even begun yet. ― Nikki Rowe
15. When you lose someone, you have to accept that grief and love cannot be separated. For when you reminisce the joys of your sweet love, you will be awakened by the suffering you have tried so hard to keep at bay.
Quotes About Moving on From Lost Love
16. Would I have been better off if I never knew you? I do not know, and I find myself not wanting to know at all.
17. In love, unlike most other passions, the recollection of what you have had and lost is always better than what you can hope for in the future. ~Stendhal
18. The way to love anything is to realize that it might be lost. – G. K. Chesterton
19. After you left me, I was stuck wondering where I should go to start anew. A voice in the wind told me that maybe I didn’t have to start over again. Perhaps I just had to walk through this path and apply the lessons losing you has taught me.
20. Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation. ~Kahlil Gibran
21. I used to think that I could never lose anyone if I photographed them enough. In fact, my pictures show me how much I’ve lost. ― Nan Goldin
22. Life teaches us so many lessons. Life is the only real teacher. The most important lesson it teaches us is a loss. The loss is an only loss when you lose something you love. Losing something you never had any attachment with, is not a loss. Maybe that is why love and loss have such a deep connection.
23. Love isn’t there to make us happy. I believe it exists to show us how much we can endure. – Hermann Hesse
24. The greatest weakness of most humans Is their hesitancy to tell others, How much they love them While they’re alive.
25. When love is lost, do not bow your head in sadness; instead keep your head up high and gaze into heaven for that is where your broken heart has been sent to heal.
26. It is better to have loved and lost than never to have lost at all. – Samuel Butler
27. Real loss only occurs when you lose something that you love more than yourself.
28. Better never to have met you in my dream than to wake and reach for hands that are not there. ― Otomo No Yakamochi
29. Everyone has a right to love and be loved, and nobody on this earth has the right to tell anyone that their love for another human being is morally wrong. ― Barbra Streisand
30. I was never one to patiently pick up broken fragments and glue them together again and tell myself that the mended whole was as good as new. What is broken is broken-and I’d rather remember it as it was at its best than mend it and see the broken places as long as I lived. – Margaret Mitchell
31. Any fool can be happy. It takes a man with real heart to make beauty out of the stuff that makes us weep. ― Clive Barker
Loss and Love Messages for Her or Him
32. You’ve always acted like you were staying for good so when you left, I didn’t know how to live without you anymore.
33. When the sun has set, no candle can replace it. – George R.R. Martin
34. People should not judge failed love affairs as failed experiences, but as part of the growth process. Something does not have to end well for it to have been one of the most valuable experiences of a lifetime. – Ethel Person
35. Love is divine only and difficult always. If you think it is easy you are a fool. If you think it is natural you are blind. It is a learned application without reason or motive except that it is God. – Toni Morrison
36. You cannot see loss; you cannot hear loss. There is only one thing you can do, and that is to feel it.
37. Losing your love can be tragic. Bearing that kind of loss can be hard, but it happens more than we can imagine. Love is not always meant to be found. This section contains the quotes, messages, and sayings about losing your love.
38. Unrequited love can never kill you. It only causes the pain. Pain that can fly away on the wings of time.
39. It hurts to breathe. It hurts to live. I hate her, yet I do not think I can exist without her. – Charlotte Featherstone
40. I cried so hard when I lost my cat, the pain of losing her spearing a hole through my heart. My father hugged me tight and whispered in my ear, Do not cry, my child. For when you lose something great, something better will take its place.
41. Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don’t know how to replenish its source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings. ― Anais Nin
42. Not all those who wander are lost. – J.R.R. Tolkien
43. Giving up doesn’t always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go. – Unknown
44. The grief of losing you made me feel so lost. But ironically, it is the same grief that keeps me going on with life.
45. If you can’t get somebody off your mind, they are probably supposed to be there.
46. Love does nothing but make you weak! It turns you into an object of pity and derision-a mewling pathetic creature no more fit to live than a worm squirming on the pavement after a hard summer rain. – Teresa Medeiros
47. Sometimes, the only reason why you won’t let go of what’s making you sad is because it was the only thing that made you happy.
Best Lost Love Quotes & Sayings
48. In love, unlike most other passions, the recollection of what you have had and lost is always better than what you can hope for in the future. ― Stendhal
49. Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened. – Dr. Seuss
50. When the sun has set, no candle can replace it. ― George R.R. Martin
51. I’m afraid we’ll be one of the ones who miss each other their entire life.
52. The truth is, unless you let go, unless you forgive yourself, unless you forgive the situation, unless you realize that the situation is over, you cannot move forward. – Steve Maraboli
53. Do not fear, sweet child, and let yourself, love. Do not be afraid of the pain of loss, for the sweetness of love far outweighs it.
54. I don’t think, until you’ve actually lost somebody you really love, that you can go through that door that allows you to be grown-up. ~Felicity Kendal
55. Never let the person you love walk away. Try, try till there is a hope. And when that hope goes away, then, there is no point in trying anyway.
56. How do you go on knowing that the one thing that keeps your heart beating is forever lost to you?
57. It hurts to breathe. It hurts to live. I hate her, yet I do not think I can exist without her. ― Charlotte Featherstone
58. It’s hard to forget someone who gave you so much to remember.
59. Love is the hardest habit to break, and the most difficult to satisfy.
60. Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. ~Alfred Lord Tennyson
61. A broken heart is just the growing pains necessary so that you can love more completely when the real thing comes along. – J.S.B. Morse
62. To welcome great beginnings, you must welcome the possible sad endings that come with it.
63. Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don’t know how to replenish its source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings. – Anais Nin
64. Loss and love go way back. They have a very long and old relationship. Movies, novels, dramas and almost everything accepts it and interprets it. We have some quotes about loss and love, I hope you enjoy them.
65. I hate you…and then I love you…it’s like I want to throw you off a cliff….then rush to the bottom to catch you.
66. Sometimes things need to be let go of. If it’s meant to be, you’ll find each other again.
67. Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling in at night. I miss you like hell. – Edna St. Vincent Millay
68. There is nothing more painful than saying goodbye to something that’s brought so much joy and beauty to your life. However, some goodbyes are just inevitable.
69. Suddenly she realized that what she was regretting was not the lost past but the lost future, not what had not been but what would never be. ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
Quotes about lost love to get you trough
70. Relationships are like glass. Sometimes it’s better to leave them broken than try to hurt yourself putting it back together.
71. I was never one to patiently pick up broken fragments and glue them together again and tell myself that the mended whole was as good as new. What is broken is broken — and I’d rather remember it as it was at its best than mend it and see the broken places as long as I lived. ― Margaret Mitchell
72. Losing you left a bitter taste in my mouth. But whenever I try to wash the taste away, the lingering sweetness of our time together keeps me from doing it. I would endure every bitter taste if only to taste bits and pieces of the sweetness that once overwhelmed me.
73. Then I said goodnight and tucked you away inside a place called Nostalgia, where you’ll always remain unspoiled, somewhere between my lungs that used to breathe ocean air and my belly that fluttered with hope. ― Victoria Erickson
74. What is the opposite of two? A lonely me, a lonely you. ― Richard Wilbur
75. One of the most difficult tasks in life is removing someone from your heart.
76. I was faced with the hardest decision I will ever make in my life, to let go and move on.
77. People should not judge failed love affairs as failed experiences, but as part of the growth process. Something does not have to end well for it to have been one of the most valuable experiences of a lifetime. ~Ethel Person
78. Any relationship should have love, and if there is no love, it is better to call off a relationship. People say that love happens only once, but I don’t believe in it because for me, if one relationship doesn’t work, you should move on and seek love in another relationship. Who knows; you might find love in the second relationship. ~Bipasha Basu
79. “I think the worst feeling in the world is knowing that someone you used to talk to everyday doesn’t care about you anymore.” Anmol Andore
80. “The truth is, unless you let go, unless you forgive yourself, unless you forgive the situation, unless you realize that the situation is over, you cannot move forward.” Steve Maraboli
81. “Perhaps that is where our choice lies—in determining how we will meet the inevitable end of things, and how we will greet each new beginning.” Elana K. Arnold
82. “The greatest weakness of most humans is their hesitancy to tell others how much they love them while they’re alive.” ~ Orlando Aloysius Battista
83. “Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
84. “Love is like quicksilver in the hand. Leave the fingers open and it stays. Clutch it and it darts away.” ~ Dorothy Parker
85. For happy lovers passed two by two where I stood;
86. “Love isn’t there to make us happy. I believe it exists to show us how much we can endure.” Jonathan Safran Foer
Profound Lost Love Quotes
87. “So dear I love him, that with him, all deaths I could endure, without him, live no life.” ~ John Milton
88. “I dreamed that I stood in a valley and amid sighs,
89. “A divorce is like an amputation: you survive it, but there’s less of you.” ~ Margaret Atwood
90. “And ever has it been known that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.” ~ Khalil Gibran
91. “You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back.” Barbara De Angelis
92. “I know for certain that we never lose the people we love, even to death. They continue to participate in every act, thought, and decision we make. Their love leaves an indelible imprint in our memories. We find comfort in knowing that our lives have been enriched by having shared their love.” ~ Leo Buscaglia
93. “Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.” Kahlil Gibran
94. “When it’s gone, you’ll know what a gift love was. You’ll suffer like this. So, go back and fight to keep it.” Ian McEwan
95. “I just like to sing for people who have lost love.” ~ Mac Miller
96. “I know that’s what people say– you’ll get over it. I’d say it, too. But I know it’s not true. Oh, you’ll be happy again, never fear. But you won’t forget. Every time you fall in love it will be because something in the man reminds you of him.” ~ Betty Smith
97. “Where there is love there is life.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi
98. “We perceive when love begins and when it declines by our embarrassment when alone together.” ~ Jean de la Bruyere
99. “If I had a flower for every time I thought of you…I could walk through my garden forever.” ~ Alfred Lord Tennyson
100. “Everyone has a right to love and be loved, and nobody on this earth has the right to tell anyone that their love for another human being is morally wrong.” Kahlil Gibran
101. “Life is the flower for which love is the honey.” ~ Victor Hugo
102. “There are things that we never want to let go of, people we never want to leave behind. But keep in mind that letting go isn’t the end of the world, it’s the beginning of a new life.” Unknown
103. “I have loved and I have lost and I’m starting to believe; it’s okay. Sometimes what we ‘think’ is best for us, is only the beginning of what is truly ‘meant’ for us. And if I have loved, so deeply the wrong heart; I am content in knowing the greatest love I will ever experience, hasn’t even begun yet.” Nikki Rowe
104. “Love is like quicksilver in the hand.” ~ Dorothy Parker
105. “Let go. Why do you cling to pain? There is nothing you can do about the wrongs of yesterday. It is not yours to judge. Why hold on to the very thing which keeps you from hope and love?” Leo Buscaglia
106. “When we think we have been hurt by someone in the past, we build up defenses to protect ourselves from being hurt in the future. So the fearful past causes a fearful future and the past and future become one. We cannot love when we feel fear…. When we release the fearful past and forgive everyone, we will experience total love and oneness with all.” Gerald G. Jampolsky
107. “The way to love anything is to realize that it might be lost.” Samuel Butler